We just recently moved from a house that was built in the early 1900's which we dearly loved. The house has been well maintained over the years by previous owners including ourselves, and restored and kept as original as possible. I have always been interested in the history of the house, and went over to the library as well as the library at Bradley University to see if I could find some tidbits of information. Unfortunately, I could never find anything out, but was able to get some background from long time neighbors. You just can't help but think about what the past in that old house was like, who lived there, who famous visited or if there was some secret hiding place with some treasure...like the TV show, "If Walls Could Talk".
Yesterday while we packing up the last of our belongings, I noticed people standing outside in front admiring our old house. One guy was taking pictures! I stepped out onto the porch and struck up a conversation with the nice fellows. They introduced themselves to me, and then shared a story about their childhood... they grew up in the house! Their family bought the house in 1953 and lived there until the early 70's. I immediately asked my numerous questions that have kept me wondering. The guys were brothers, probably around 50 years young or so, and they proceeded to tell me stories... nothing historical, but they were great memories.
I told them that we were moving out, but they were more than welcome to come in and see the house, just pardon my dust!
As they entered their memories were brought back to life... They were both so excited, and as they looked around they would tell their little history behind every nook and cranny. Robert remembered where he split his head open on the french doors, and he still has the scar, and Steve remembered the telephone that once sat on the built-in buffet in the dining room. The basement where at one time was Robert's bedroom, and the neat hiding place behind the steps. Their father had his office downstairs, and they remembered bookcases after bookcases that lined the walls with books galore. His father was a professor at Bradley, and their Mother was an art teacher there as well.
When we got upstairs, the boys, or I should say "men" just stared with a blank expression as they looked into the sun room where they their Mother would spend hours painting... it was her favorite room. You could almost picture her sitting there in front of an easel with a pallet of paint in the brightly lit room. We stood there in silence, and Robert sadly said Mom passed away a few years ago. It brought tears to my eyes.
The laughter from Robert and Steve as they recalled every bit of nostalgia from the fights about who gets what bedroom, remembering the hiding places in the attic, playing in the backyard, and the garage where they once kept their bikes.
Steve's bedroom was empty, but he was so excited to see it, and it looked exactly the way he remembered it. He kindly asked if he could take photo's of the room, and I told him he could take as many as he wanted. He took pictures of every room in the house including one of the fireplace in the living room where they used to open presents on Christmas morning, the old built-in buffet and dining room where they used to have every meal as a family in, and his Mother's favorite painting room.
I have had very many people through my old house, but these were very special visitors. I felt bad that I couldn't extend an open invitation to them to come back and visit because we will soon be putting the house on the market to sell, but they were happy they could just have this opportunity to see it once again.
I know everyone is probably wondering why I would let strangers into my house let alone take pictures of the inside, but you see Steve is Autistic, and although he has a incredible memory of the house he once lived in, he just wanted more memories I guess on paper.
So, after all these years of wondering about this old house, meeting Robert and Steve was a treasure found that is priceless...it was like the walls finally talked to me!
Monday, August 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
I think you done a good thing. I have thought a time or two about knocking on the door of the house I grew up in when I'm in that town.
But I suppose I can do without.
It made our day, meeting the previous people that occupied our house...It was a Flamingood feeling..
Post a Comment